Most kids are home for Presidents Day this week and Moms and Dads will be looking for ways to keep the kids fed and happy. This recipe for Stove Top Mac & Cheese is easy and most kids of all ages love it. Please stop by the blog later this week on ideas to keep the kids busy this week.
Mac and Cheese
- 3/4 pound dry small pasta, I used spiral noodles
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk, I used skim
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare béchamel , melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 3-4 minutes until roux gets slightly darker in color. Slowly whisk in the skim milk, stirring continuously until mixture thickens, this takes about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in cheese until completely melted.
- Transfer the cooked elbow pasta to a large pot over low heat. Pour cheese sauce over top, stirring to combine.