I tried Quesitos a few years ago and from the first bite I was hooked. This is my all time favorite dessert. I was so excited to learn these are easy to make with the pre made puff pastry from the freezer. If your not a fan of guava feel free to leave that out. Its a great cheese pastry too.
Guava Quesito Recipe, Puerto Rican Cheese Danish
Quesito’s can be found in neighborhood bakeries all over Puerto Rico.
You will need 1 package Pepperidge Farms Pastry Sheets, Make sure you get SHEETS, NOT puffs.
16 ounces cream cheese, fat free or full flavor is fine. I use fat free myself.
½ cup granulated sugar, can be adjusted up or down, per your taste.
1 teaspoon vanilla
Guava paste, cut in 18, 1/4 each slices, you may have leftovers.
You will also need,
Approx. ¼ cup light corn syrup
Colorful sugar crystals, if you don’t have, regular granulated sugar is fine, (for sprinkling)
Make sure you defrost pastry sheets before you prepare dish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix, cream cheese, ½ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla together.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 9 squares, you will have 18 squares when finished.
- Fill the pastry with 1 spoon full of cheese mixture, add a slice of Guava paste on to, Roll the pastry square and put on a baking sheet with parchment paper, seam side down.
- Adjust the amount of filling so you get enough cheese for all pastry squares, a little goes a long way.
- When you have all done, brush all with egg white. And add granulate or color sugar crystals. ( I adjust colors to go with holiday theme)
- Bake for approx. 12 minutes. Check for golden brown, they may need a few minutes, just watch carefully. Cheese will melt out, that is normal.
- When done, take out of oven. Immediately brush with corn syrup. You can add more sugar if you like at this time. Let cool and ENJOY!