This recipe is for a easy STOVE TOP MAC AND CHEESE. It calls for ingredients that are usually on hand in most homes. This beats any box mix that you might have. Makes a great side or even as an entrée for lunch. Enjoy!!
Stove Top Mac and Cheese
- 3/4 pound dry small pasta, I used elbow
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk, I used skim
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare roux, melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 3-4 minutes until roux gets slightly darker in color. Slowly whisk in the skim milk, stirring continuously until mixture thickens, this takes about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in cheese until completely melted.
- Transfer the cooked elbow pasta to a large pot over low heat. Pour cheese sauce over top, stirring to combine.